Gorman Architects, plc's Services:
Gorman Architects is a full service provider. Full service means we provide comprehensive architectural services, from initial programming through the construction contract close-out. It means we are involved in the project from its early conception on through to its occupancy by you. As an agent for you, we provide a continuous presence throughout the project and are the central repository of knowledge about the project. However, if your needs are less comprehensive, we can provide focused services, limited in scope.
Gorman Architects, plc offers three broad categories of services:
- Basic Services — Normal "full" services for a commercial project.
- Supplemental Services — Specialized services for specific project needs.
- Designated Services - Subsets of basic services.
Basic Services are divided into "phases" which are roughly sequential in the project process:
Programming Phase: Deciding What to Design
- The owner and architect discuss the goals for the project (how much square footage, the function of the spaces, desired look, budgets, etc.). Simple diagrams are used to explore possible arrangements of the spaces. The fit between the owner’s needs, wants and budget are tested to ensure the project is feasible. Business scenarios are devised that describe plausible outcomes for a particular business venture. Architectural concepts are then developed to address the applicable scenarios. From this exercise a flexible facility strategy can be developed for implementation. This information is compiled in a written document referred to as "The Program".
Schematic Design Phase: What is the Design
- The architect prepares a series of rough drawings, which show where on the site will be built (site plan) the general arrangement of rooms & spaces (floor plans) and what the exterior of the building(s) look like (elevations or sketches). During this phase up to three different concepts may be investigated before a final design is decided upon.
Design Development Phase: Refining the Design
- The architect prepares more detailed drawings to illustrate other aspects of the proposed design. Floor plans show all the rooms & spaces in correct size and shape. Exterior elevations show how the building appears on the outside. Building Sections show how the interior of the building appears. Outline specifications list the major materials, finishes, equipment and systems planned for the building.
Construction Documents Phase: Documenting the Design
- Once the major design decisions have been agreed upon, the architect prepares detailed drawings and specifications, which documents these decisions and forms the basis for a construction contract.
Bidding or Negotiation Phase: Who will build the Design
- While the owner is ultimately responsible for selecting and hiring the contractor, the architect advises on different methods of procuring construction services, be it by competitive bidding or selective negotiation. The architect handles the mechanics of screening contractors, conducting bidding and preparing the construction contract for review by the owner's attorney.
Construction Administration Phase: Building the Design as intended
- While the contractor will physically build the project, and is solely responsible for construction methods, techniques, schedules and procedures, the architect assists the owner in making sure that the project is built according to the construction documents. The architect makes site visits to observe construction, reviews and approves the contractor’s applications for payment, keeps the owner informed of the project’s progress and performs other administrative functions. The architect inspects the project at completion and assists in closing out the construction contract.
Supplemental Services include the following:
- Furnishings - We can select and specify furnishings for a project.
- Site evaluation - We can advise you on whether a potential site is appropriate for your project.
- Master Planning - We can plan for long term development of your property or facility.
- Model Making & Rendering - We can have your design rendered in a variety of media and formats.
If you do not want comprehensive basic services, Gorman Architects offers designated services which are subsets of the basic services we provide. For example, you may want us to just conduct a scenario plan for your company or to perform a feasibility study. Designated services let us tailor our services to just what you need.